Friday, December 29, 2006

And to ALL a Good Night........

Well, Ricky brings up a good question about our lives and the new year. He asks what will we do to change our lives in the coming year to make it better. I, for one, believe that is the question to ask yourself each and every day of your lives. We only have this second to live and that only one at a time. You know, I have been reading some of the "thinkers" of the last 2 centuries, and have come to the conclusion that the reason there were so many brilliant and creative people then, was the fact that they had and TOOK the TIME to think, contemplate, read, have meaningful conversation with neighbors and friends, they took walks and breathed fresh air and were okay with being "quiet" with themselves. No boys, this is not one of those SBC "throw your T.V. in the trash" speeches, but you would do well to watch your family more rather than the telly! I can remember one of the "pass time" things I would do with my grandmother in Stillwater in the summers I spent with her, was just sitting on the porch, greeting neighbors as they walked by. Talking with them, actually LISTENING to what they were saying and hearing their heart when the words didn't come. We are SO busy, so burdened with our "jobs", schooling, etc....that we have lost the art of living....of thinking....of sharing....of true conversation, of really caring about ourselves, our souls and about others we come in contact with every stinking day! We are bankrupting our own selves in our complete obsession with the things that won't and don't really matter. I don't want to just change something for this year, but change something for my life in whatever is left over of its entirety! Change, as those of us who have done it know, is very difficult and in itself, takes time. But I have never worked hard on changing myself to look back and say "wish I hadn't done that". May your year be filled with change...in yourself....and may it then touch others lives to inspire change. Shalom.

3 comments:

mchumps said...

I couldn't agree with you more...especially on the point of having the TIME to THINK...nowadays we're hurried about and pushed to keep ourselves busy...oddly enough, this is a sort of luxury...but we're being deprived of it by being taught it's a waste to spend our days contemplating...well, anything, as opposed to being "productive" and what that REALLY seems to mean, is "making money" or "furthering" our careers, etc...societal ladder-climbing...not that I disagree with the practice entirely, but still...the great thinkers were often wealthy by way of their parents and/or lived off of the land with no desire for monetary wealth or gain, only spiritual gain and solitude. How they did it, is beyond me...but I guess the lesson to take with you is, they DID it...I'm thinking mostly existentialists and the whole, New England thinkers pseudo-club...I love change, and it is indeed VERY difficult...but without change, there would be no need for adaptation, which is the trait that keeps all of us alive. Happy New Year, Auntie D...I love you!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I remember watching you and Grma Ethel sit on the porch swing at her house in Stillwater...for hours. I could never figure out why you did that. Now I know.